xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#'UA-81427306-1 Wisdom and Folly: Where Does it Say We Need a Mediator

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Where Does it Say We Need a Mediator

A mediator is someone who stands between two parties which are at some variance.  In this sense, a mediator cannot be on either side.  A true mediator should not receive benefit from either side.  If they do receive benefit, it must be from both sides in equal proportion.  That is the only way a mediator can remain impartial.  A mediator can make suggestions to both sides in an effort find a solution.  Both sides can then agree or not.  They might make a counter offer of some kind.  The mediator is only there to make suggestions to both parties and in some disputes, get the ball rolling towards an agreement.  This is the job of the mediator.  

So the church teaches, and it is written in their bible, that Jesus was a mediator between man and G-d. Let's take a look at what their bible says.  1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 "Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity."  The way this is written gives the impression that there are three distinctly different beings; G-d, the mediator, and man.  This fits with the definition above.  On a side note, I find it odd that Paul goes out of his way to tell us he isn't lying.  It has been my experience that when someone goes out of their way to say they aren't lying, that is exactly what they are doing.  In 1 John 2:1-2 we are told, "...And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."  This concept is among the most basic tenets of the church.

The idea of a mediator contradicts both the Hebrew Scriptures as well as other church doctrines. The church teaches that Jesus is G-d, that he and the father are one.  If this is so, how can he be a mediator between G-d and man?  By definition, a mediator is someone who stands between two parties which are at some variance.  The church may tell you that he is fulfilling his role as a part of the trinity,  The problem with this argument is that the trinity is not even mentioned anywhere in their bible.  The idea of the trinity was not believed by many of the early church and did not take its current form until the fourth century.

As far as the Hebrew Scriptures are concerned, the idea of needing a mediator between G-d and man is completely foreign.  In 2 Chronicles 7:14 we are told, "14 And My people, upon whom My name is called, humble themselves and pray and seek My presence and repent of their evil ways, I shall hear from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land."  There is no mention of a mediator here.  If this were the only passage in the Hebrew Scriptures to contradict the idea of needing a mediator, that should be sufficient proof.  If something contradicts one passage of scripture, then it does not line up with any of it.  But there are many places in the Hebrew Scriptures that contradict the mediator theology of the church.  Psalms 5:2-4, "2 Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my meditation.3 Hearken to the voice of my cry, my King and my God, for I will pray to You.4 O Lord, in the morning You shall hearken to my voice; in the morning I shall arrange [my prayer] to You, and I shall look forward."  Psalms 16:2-4, " 2 You should say to the Lord, "You are my Master; my good is not incumbent upon You.  3 For the holy ones who are in the earth, and the mighty ones in whom is all my delight.  4 May the sorrows of those who hasten after another [deity] increase; I will not pour their libations of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips."  

All through the book of Psalms, we see the Psalmist talking directly to G-d.  There is no reason for anyone to think they need a mediator to go to G-d on their behalf.  In fact, we are commanded to pray in Exodus 20:25.  Your soul yearns for you to connect with its creator.  This is impossible to do through someone else.  It is impossible to do in someone else's name.  You can call out to Him.  You can cry to Him.  You can meditate on Him.  You can pour your heart out to Him.  You can know Him. But you must pray directly to Him.      


Copyright 2016 by:
William Bouker

No comments:

Post a Comment